Other Great Sites
MorningValley.com All the Best Christmas stuff, from all over the net!
SpaceWeekly.com The latest Space News!
BinChat.com Learn all about Blogging!
CompuHype.com The latest Technology News!
Computer Hunter Internet Advice and Fun!
Free Monkey Search Get a free monkey with every search!
TruthIsFalse.com Every thing you know is a lie!
SciFiStar.com Your link to the Stars on the net!
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
e0s.com Who caused Sept 11 The answer is here!
CapitalDomains.com Get your own Dot Com Name!
WhoHe Do you know these Male Celebrities?
WhoShe Do you know these Female Celebrities?
Hero or Zero Vote for your favorite Hero or against a Zero!
Tips Point FREE tips and hints about everything.
UnFind Find anything related to the United Nations!
SnackSite.com Chocolate at its Best!
NextNest.com Interior Design
VibeFanClub.com Everything Automotive!
CashRoundUp.com Home Equity Resources
ClickJets.com All about Travel
HikingBin.com Recreation Resources
Computer Hunter .org Articles about almost everything!
BeyondTheBedroom.com All the Best Bed Room stuff, from all over the net!
Madonna says "TV is Trash". Here are the Top 10 Reasons to Trash Your TV
Madonna raised some eyebrows when she declared that "TV is trash" and that she does not let her children Lourdes and Rocco watch TV, save one movie on the weekend. Madonna: "We have TVs but they're not hooked up to anything but movies. TV is trash. I was raised without it. I didn't miss anything. TV is poison."
Getting rid of the family TV is not as horrible as it may sound. In fact, not allowing her children to watch TV is perhaps the best decision Madonna could make as a parent. It was certainly the best decision I made for my children and me. Here are the top ten reasons why Madonna is right:
1. Heavy TV watchers are twice as likely to be obese.
2. Average US parent spends only 38 min/week in meaningful conversation with children.
3. TV viewing in young children is associated with ADHD symptoms later on.
4. Viewing TV violence is the single strongest predictor of aggression later in life, according to 32-year-study.
5. Children witness 16,000 TV murders by age 18.
6. Viewers are exposed to 40,000 commercials per year on average.
7. Commercials influence in an estimated $300 Billion/year in sales.
8. Students who watched an hour/day or less scored the best on achievement tests.
9. TV is addictive.
10. The Average American watches four hours of TV per day. There is simply so much else to do in life.
As a parent, I encourage you to make your own decision about what to do with your TV. Don't take Madonna's word or mine. Take note of the amount of time you watch TV. Then consider if there is something better you could do as a family. Also, the next time the TV is playing just look into your precious children's eyes as they assume a zombie-like stare. Then take note of how many times your child nags for something she saw on TV. Finally, take our TV Addiction Quiz and measure how much TV is controlling your life.
Once you really examine the costs and benefits of watching TV, you will probably agree that the former Material Girl is right. TV is trash. Trash Your TV.
This article was posted on November 21, 2005